Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Grammarly@edu (Formerly SentenceWorks)


Fine tuning writing skills can be a tall order. Grading student writing is a very time consuming task, and students must write frequently and receive feedback to improve those skills. Grammarly is a tool that will allow your students to check their papers for over 150 grammar rules, plagiarism, vocabulary enhancement, and spell check. This is a resource that you can require your students to use to get immediate feedback and fix their writing before turning in a paper. English teachers know that a well written paper is easier and quicker to grade than a poorly written one.

I checked this blog with Grammarly. The program reminded me about preposition use and suggested that I reword my sentence so I did not end with one. Passive voice was pointed out to me, and I chose not to correct it in this sentence. Grammarly felt like my nagging high school English teacher constantly critiquing my paper with red ink. I kept modifying my paper and reviewing my changes until she had almost nothing left to say.

Grammarly is currently in use within USD 331. According to our stats, a number of teachers are currently using the online resource regularly. Please contact me and I can resend you the registration information if you wish to have your students utilize this tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment