Monday, January 24, 2011

IXL Math - Practice Math Skills at Home

If you are looking for a good resource to help your student fine tune their math skills, you might consider IXL Math.  Kingman Elementary introduced this resource this past school year with the Technology Rich Classroom grant in 4th and 5th grade.  The teachers participating in this grant highly recommended IXL.  The students like IXL because it is quick to load and they get rewarded for their accomplishments.  Teachers like it because it is aligned with state standards and they can assign specific skills.

As a parent, I purchased a license to IXL Math for my 3rd grader to help with his math skills.  I was surprised by the wide variety of practice skills available.  Over 200 for third grade alone.  IXL Math has practice skills for Pre-K through 8th grade, covering everything from basic math to consumer math to geometry and linear functions.  Repetition is a great way to learn math skills and IXL provides a good environment for your child to practice a skill repeatedly if needed.  You can visit the site and preview the question categories.

The site advertises that they will provide content for grades 9-12 soon.  The cost for one license per year is $79.  With the wide variety of skills available for us to practice, it is a tool that I plan on using at home with my kids for the foreseeable future.

2 comments:

  1. We used IXL for a while. A teacher friend had a subscription for her class and put my kids on it. They liked it at first but it got old pretty quick. Eventually it led to a lot of frustration and confusion but I could have been pushing too hard. They didn't actually learn anything.
    Then I let them try Beestar, which is also a home learning site. Its math program is always free but provides with valuable practices every week. The questions are perfectly designed to help kids better understand what they learn at school. At the same time, it has very good reward system to keep kids motivated. They like to win the weekly ribbons. In just six months, their teacher told me they had gained strong interest for math. This is what I mostly wanted to see in the past. As I know, Beestar has many other program options. I am considering letting them enroll other programs very soon.

    ReplyDelete